RMSA Project Cell
The Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA) Project Cell has been set up in the NCERT w.e.f. 26th April 2012 to address all the aspects of RMSA (A Centrally Sponsored Scheme launched by MHRD in 2009) including curriculum issues. The major concerns of RMSA are:
Setting up 6000 model schools, up-gradation of the existing Upper Primary Schools into Secondary Schools, Strengthening the existing Secondary Schools, Quality of teachers, Up-gradation of KGBVs, IEDC, Vocational Education, etc.
Role and Function
- Advisory role in evolving and improving policies related to curriculum, pedagogy, and assessment and teacher education at the secondary stage.
- Supporting role in the implementation of RMSA with an overall objective of improving quality of secondary education.
- Coordination with different departments/Institutes of NCERT and outside agencies to support the implementation of RMSA in the country with special reference to quality embedded with equity. The areas of interest include curriculum development and dissemination at the secondary stage, learning achievement surveys, teachers’ professional development, adolescence education, Guidance and Counseling, Vocational Education, use of ICT, etc.,
- Providing academic support to all the States/UTs in collaboration with different NIE departments and other constituent units of the NCERT for reviewing and improving the state curriculum, syllabus, textbooks, assessment practices and various resource materials in consonance with emerging national, social and pedagogic concerns such as inclusive education, peace, environment etc. as reflected in the National Curriculum Framework-2005;
- Initiating and promoting dialogue with various stakeholders on quality issues and concerns related to secondary education under RMSA;
- Strengthening in-service teacher professional development programmes at secondary stage;
- Strengthening/promoting ICT enabled secondary education for quality improvement in all curricular areas;
- Capacity building of various stakeholders including teachers and teacher- educators for the effective implementation of quality aspects such as curriculum reform, continuous and comprehensive evaluation, examination reforms, etc;
- Strengthening Science, Mathematics and Language Education at the secondary stage;
- Promoting other curricular areas such as Arts and Aesthetics, Health and Physical Education and work at secondary stage;
- Promoting/strengthening research studies on quality aspects in secondary education; and
- Strengthening coordination mechanism and collaboration with different agencies at various levels like within NIE departments, RIEs, PSSCIVE, CIET,SCERTs, School Education Boards, Secondary Teacher Education Institutions such as IASEs, CTEs, etc. and develop feedback mechanism for the effective functioning of these institutions.