Activities undertaken by DESM during last ten years:
1. A research study on Status of Environmental Education in Schools in US vis-à-vis India at the University of Florida, undertaken by a faculty of DESM during 2009 – 10.
2. National Conference on Assessment and Improvement of Science and Mathematics Education organised during January 13-14, 2009.
3. A research programme to study Classroom Transactions of Science and Mathematics Textbooks at Upper Primary, Secondary and Higher Secondary Stages (undertaken during 2008 – 09).
A significant area of the department’s work has been the development of syllabi, textbooks and other learning materials in Science, Mathematics and Environmental Education. Post National Curriculum Framework-2005, the department has been engaged in the development of following learning materials:
1. Textbooks for Classes VI, VII, VIII, IX and X in Science and Mathematics and for Classes XI and XII in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics, both in Hindi and English versions. The Urdu versions of these textbooks have been developed in collaboration with the Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
2. Laboratory Manuals for Secondary stage in Science and Mathematics and for Higher Secondary stage in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics, both in Hindi and English versions. Laboratory manual in Mathematics at Elementary Stage.
3. Exemplar Problems for classes IX and X in Science and Mathematics, and for classes XI and XII in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics, both in Hindi and English versions.
4. Bridge courses in Science and Mathematics for Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV) students to help drop-out students from the Primary stage to pursue their studies at the Upper Primary stage.
5. Modules on different themes in Science and Mathematics for the students admitted in schools under the RTE act.
6.‘Reading to Learn’ 38 books under the project
7. Textbooks on Pedagogy in Science and Mathematics for pre-service teacher training programmes.
8. Prototype Learning Kits and Training Manuals in Mathematics for Classes I and II.
9. Project books (for classes VI to X) and a Teacher’s Handbook for Environmental Education as an integral part of curriculum.
10. Training Packages in Science and Mathematics at the Upper Primary stage for teachers without having substantial background in Science and Mathematics.
11. Teacher Training Materials for teachers of Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV) at the Upper Primary stage in Science and Mathematics.
12. Contextualized Training Packages for the Elementary stage teachers of North Eastern region in Science and Mathematics.
13. Source Books on Assessment in Science and Mathematics at the Upper Primary Stage
14. Indicators of learning in Science and Mathematics for Upper Primary Stage developed under Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan of Government of India. Based on these, tools for assessment have also been developed after field trials.
15. A Handbook for designing Mathematics laboratory in schools.
Over the years, DESM has organized numerous training and orientation programmes for Master Trainers and in-service Teachers in Science, Mathematics and Environmental Educational up to Secondary Stage and in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics at the Higher Secondary Stage. Faculty in the department has been actively participating and contributing as resource persons in all NCERT programmes related to the Teacher Training through Video Conferencing. The department has also been participating in programmes of Gyan Darshan Channel.
Some of these training programmes have been:
1. In-service Training Programmes on Laboratory Practices with emphasis on development of laboratory skills.
2. Training programmes for the teachers of Navodaya Vidyalayas, Kendriya Vidyalayas, DAV schools, Army Schools and several other school organisations. In these training programmes, nearly 700 teachers were trained in Science and Mathematics. The teachers were trained on priority basis as these were either newly appointed or were promoted from TGT to PGT position.
3. Orientation programmes for Mathematics and Science Teachers of CBSE affiliated schools at Upper Primary, Secondary and Higher Secondary Stages through face-to-face mode.
4. Twenty-One day training programmes for key resource persons in Science and Mathematics belonging to different states and UTs were organised in two phases using Training Packages in Science and Mathematics at the Upper Primary stage for teachers without having substantial background in Science and Mathematics.
5. Orientation of experts associated with development of curriculum at Secondary and Higher Secondary stages. A long term plans for promotion of environmental education as an integral part of curriculum has been drawn.
6. Key resource persons from the North Eastern region were trained on the basis of Contextualized training packages for the Elementary stage teachers of North Eastern region in Science and Mathematics, developed by the department.
7. During 2009 – 10, faculty of DESM also participated in one month Capacity Building Programme of Evaluation Studies undertaken by the Department of Elementary Education, NCERT at Institute of Education, University of London; Faculty of Education, Cambridge University; and National Foundation of Educational Research (NAFER), UK.
8. The department developed prototype learning kits and training manuals for teachers and training manuals for teachers of classes I and II under a programme'Group Arithmetic' .Training programmes for teachers of Haryana,Chhatisgarh, Andhra Pradesh and Uttrakhand, and for their resource teams have also been organized. During 2011 – 12, these kits are being tried out in the schools of Haryana and Uttarakhand.
9. Orientation Programmes for State Project Director officials and SCERT/SIE faculty members of different states/UTs.
1. Popularization of Science, Mathematics and Environment concerns through the organization of the Jawaharlal Nehru National Science, Mathematics and Environmental Exhibition for Children (JNNSMEE) every year that marks the culmination of a series of Science exhibitions for children, organized at district, zonal and state levels. Providing academic guidance and financial support for State Level Science, Mathematics and Environmental Exhibition for Children (SLSMEE).
2. Publication of a quarterly journal ‘School Science’ for the last fifty years for dissemination of innovative practices in Science and Mathematics education.
3. For popularisation of Science, the department has developed Science Park, Herbal Garden and Activity Room under an ongoing programme ‘Centre for popularisation of Science’.
4. Providing academic support to Video-Conference (through EDUSAT) and Telecasting Programmes on Gyan Darshan & Gyan-Vani Channels by the CIET.
5. DESM faculty offers consultancy to institutions such as SCERTs; Department of Science and Technology, Govt. Of India; Boards of School Education; Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU); National Institute of Open Schooling; CBSE; KVS and many other academic institutions and works as resource persons in the programmes organized by these institutions.
6. The department has helped a delegation of educationalists from Afghanistan in finalizing Science and Mathematics syllabi of their teacher-preparation courses
7. Celebration of ‘Science Day’ on February 28 by organising various fun activities based on science principles for school children
8. During the celebrations of Foundation Day of NCERT on September 01, visitors get the opportunity of a hands-on experience of understanding scientific principles through exhibits of ‘Science Park’ and through demonstrations done for the visitors.